One of Camps Bay’s original homes, Shell Cottage has been totally revamped into a stylish four bedroom holiday house whilst still retaining its simple, beach-style character.
One of the best things about Shell Cottage is its incredible location. Camps Bay beachfront is very close; less than a 200m stroll from the front door down a palm lined walkway. Despite being so close to the buzz, the cottage suffers no noise due to its secluded panhandle location off The Drive, a quiet residential road.
From the moment you come in through the front gate and meander along the boardwalks into the large, lush and shady garden, surrounded by views of the Twelve Apostles and Lions Head mountains, you feel as though you have entered a haven. Floating timber decks lead you through the lushest garden imaginable filled with hibiscus, lavender and all sorts of flowers and scents. The property is very different from many of the ultra-modern steel, glass and concrete homes on the Atlantic Seaboard, and it offers a lovely sense of space and peace.
The property is spacious and airy and it enjoys a wonderful flow from outside to inside. The lounge opens up completely onto the generous patio and pool deck, which overlooks the garden. Each of the bedrooms is unique and stylishly designed, and all open either onto the garden or onto private courtyards. Each of the en-suite bathrooms has its own unique theme, with an emphasis on nature - sand textures, pebbles, mother-of-pearl, driftwood.
This is a home that has been created with a lot of care and attention to detail, giving it real soul. Despite its beach cottage feel, this home is equipped to the highest standards and it offers the international traveler all that he or she might want in a self catering property, including wireless internet access and satellite television.
The local tennis courts and play park are across the road, and within a few minutes’ walk you have access to in excess of 25 restaurants, a number of bars, a library, shops, and all the other amenities that Camps Bay offers.
Shell Cottage is a holiday house that appeals to all ages. Its single level and enclosed garden suits families with young children or the elderly but its stylish design and great location, just behind the trendy sunset strip and the beach’s great surf break, make it a dream holiday location for a group of friends.
Treat yourself to a wonderful stay at this beautiful beach cottage, in Cape Town’s favorite beach suburb of Camps Bay.
General Information: Off street parking under cover for 2 cars, alarm system including garden beams, well lit at night, video entry phone, good security due to the Bay Hotel security across the road.
* Lounge: Airy room opening out completely onto the verandah via oversized folding stacking doors, as well as two shuttered vintage windows on either side of the open fireplace to let in the afternoon sunshine. Furnished with a contemporary L-shaped white leather couch, oversized down-filled cushions, white African tables, good lighting and original art. Fitted sisal flooring and heavy white linen curtains add to the style and comfort. Plasma TV with surround sound, DVD player, iPod dock, unlimited wireless internet access.
* Dining Room: Situated in a ‘turret’ with 5 meter ceilings and skylights bringing light into the centre of the cottage, the dining room has a white 10 seats table with contemporary chairs and original timber floors.
* Main bedroom: Opening onto the garden via sliding doors, with the same shuttered window as in the lounge which can be safely left wide open at night due to the ornate wrought iron grille. Queen size bed, small couch and two Phillippe Starck ‘Ghost’ chairs. Separate dressing area with contemporary sandblasted glass sliding wardrobes, all with hemp carpeting. Light and spacious en suite bathroom with huge skylight, shower, bath, basin and toilet.
* Bedroom 2: This bedroom is a similar size to the main bedroom and also opens onto the garden. It has a queen size mahogany Sleigh Bed, two easy chairs and an open en suite bathroom with a bath, separate shower, double basin and separate toilet.
* Bedroom 3: Accessed off the dining room, this bedroom opens onto its own private and protected outdoor courtyard with gravel, bougainvillea and two teak chairs via glass doors. There is a queen sized bed and an open en suite bathroom with a shower and basin, and a separate toilet. Another vintage shuttered window with wrought iron grille adds to the ambience.
* Bedroom 4: A small but quaint room with a queen sized bed, separated by a screen wall from the light and airy bathroom looking into the rose garden with a bath, basin and separate toilet. It opens onto a little courtyard with a screened outdoor shower.
* Kitchen: A cottage style kitchen has everything open and visible on white painted timber shelving units for ease of use. The main kitchen has a stylish Smeg fridge/freezer, antique leather armchair and kelim on the woodblock floor. Appliances include a ceramic glass hob, microwave and oven. The separate tea and coffee area with glass kettle and espresso machine is found through a doorway, beyond which is a small laundry with washing machine and tumble drier, opening onto a drying yard.
* Outside: A terrace leads off the lounge, on the edge of which is a 7x3m charcoal coloured pool. Beyond the pool lies the lush and private garden, with a small pond with goldfish, small fountain and a Buddah statue. A secluded corner under the trees is the perfect place for afternoon naps.