Lisbon boasts a wide range of restaurants to suit most tastes and budgets, from traditional Portuguese to international cuisine.
Many have striking interiors such as Tavares Rico, Casa do Alentejo, and Cervejaria Trindade, others have stylish contemporary décor as is the case with the trendy Bica do Sapato and Alcântara Café.
And in a city known for its hilltop vistas, many offer superb views as you eat, like Chapitô, Casa do Leão, Tágide, and Via Graça. And don't forget that Lisbon also has some of the best-value eateries of any European city along with sophisticated, more expensive restaurants such as the Michelin-starred Eleven.
The Bairro Alto district has the biggest cluster of good restaurants (Pap'Açorda and 100 Maneiras are two of the best in the city for Portuguese cuisine and Casa Nostra or Esperança are a good choice for Italian), while Docas and Parque das Nações offer some international options for the more unadventurous palates.
Vegetarians have some excellent choices, including Jardim dos Sentidos with its pleasant garden, and Terra offering varied dishes that are also excellent selections for vegans.
Generally speaking, a three-course meal with wine and appetizers costs around 20 euros per person, but so that you are able to better control your budget, our restaurant listings give an approximation of the cost of a 3-course meal at each restaurant.
You may also find useful this Lisbon restaurant map, showing the location of all the establishments in our eating guide, or a simple list of all restaurants included.
Twice-yearly, Lisbon hosts the Lisbon Restaurant Week, giving locals and visitors alike the chance to experience fine dining for a fine price and a fine cause! Dinner at the capital's top restaurants costs just 20 euros per person, with 1 euro going to charitable organisations.
If you're wondering what you should order at a Portuguese restaurant, take a look at our Food section, and to decide where to eat, see our selection of restaurants on the menu on the left. Below we highlight ten of them that stand out for the quality of the food and service, and/or atmosphere. Bom apetite!
Recommended TOP 10:
1. Eleven >> - A Michelin star-rated contemporary menu;
2. Bica do Sapato >> - Trendy spot owned by a Hollywood star;
3. Bocca >> - Recognized as one of the hottest tables in town;
4. Pap'Açorda (Cel: +351213464811)- A Lisbon classic;
5. Tavares >> - The city's oldest in a palatial setting;
6. Gambrinus >> - The best seafood;
7. Olivier >> - Long-known for gastronomic excellence;
8. A Travessa >> - Excellent food, service and atmosphere in a former 17th century convent;
9. 100 Maneiras (Cel: +351210990475) - One of the most creative menus in the city;
10. Chapitô (Cel: +351218867334)- Eating with a view over the city;
Source: Turismo de Portugal